Art Topics - Brilliant Ideas to Begin With
Essay writing isn’t as easy as it sounds; even skillful academic writers struggle with it. Although there’s no hard and fast rule of writing a good essay, you only require practice. Writing an essay or a research paper on an art-related topic is not only fun. But it is a good way to increase your knowledge about different artists and art history.
The first step of writing an essay is finding a good topic to write on. A good topic is relevant to your subject, and it is interesting for you and your readers. It also makes an arguable and interesting thesis statement.
Beginners often get stuck at this stage of the essay writing process, that is, coming up with the right essay or research paper topic.
If you are looking for essay writing topics and are bored with common topics, then you are at the right place.
5StarEssays.com has combined a wide range of rare “Art Topics.” The different art styles, movements, and genres, discussed here, will give you the opportunity of choosing an interesting topic.
Continue reading the blog to find the best art topics for your academic essays and papers.
History Art Topics
We always turn back and refer to history in hopes of avoiding past mistakes and learning new things. The same goes for art history. It provides us with a great number of exciting subjects and topics.
You can write on any art movement, time period, and school, talk about their origin and uniqueness, etc. Following are some amazing topics related to history that can help you draft an exceptional piece of writing.
- Egyptians used the same art canon for 3000 years. Why?
- The history and techniques used in printmaking.
- What is the philosophy of art? Explain the relationship between art and philosophy.
- African countries and the return of cultural property post World War II.
- Discuss primeval musical instruments.
- Stained glass in Medieval France.
- Venetian carnival masks and their history.
- Human sacrifice in Mayan culture and its depiction in art.
- Components of sculptures in Ancient Greece.
- Draw a comparison between Egyptian and Mesoamerican pyramids.
- The history and origin of Greek theater.
- Biblical motives in the early paintings of Leonardo da Vinci.
- The significance of Christian symbols in Renaissance art.
- The beauty standards of the Renaissance women.
- The significance of Raphael’s work.
Art Topics on Artist Bibliography
Artist’s bibliographies make up for interesting essay topics. You never know what you might find going deep into their personal and professional lives, struggles, childhood, and their thinking and ideas.
We have gathered a list of artists from the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries, respectively, for you to choose for your upcoming art essay.
- William Blake
- Francisco Goya
- J. M. W. Turner
- Samuel Morse
- Jacques-Louis David
- Eugene Delacroix
- Thomas Gainsborough
- Mikhail Lomonosov
- John James Audubon
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Katsushika Hokusai
- Marie Tussaud
- E. T. A. Hoffmann
- Grandma Moses
- Vincent Willem Van Gogh
- Claude Manet
- Gustav Klimt
- Rabindranath Tagore
- Henri-Émile-Benoît Matisse
- Hilaire Germain Edgar
- Auguste Renoir
- Georges Seurat
- Alfred Sisley
- Edgar Degas
- Paul Cezanne
- John Everett Millais
- Frederic Remington
- Thomas Lawrence
- Adolf Menzel
- Louise Bourgeois
- Marcel Duchamp
- Frida Kahlo
- Pablo Picasso
- Judy Chicago
- Cindy Sherman
- Andy Warhol
- Henry Spencer Moore
- Georgia Totto O’Keeffe
- Alberto Giacometti
- Emily Carr
- David Smith
- Vanessa Bell
- Frank Lloyd Wright
- Benny Andrews
Art Topics on Different Epochs
The 18th century was an era of lavish architecture and musicians.
- Influence of industrial revolution on art development.
- Late Baroque architecture.
- Rococo interior design.
- Importance of Denis Diderot’s critiques of French art in the 18th century.
- Neoclassicism sculpture: A combination of new and old ideas.
- Comparison between Baroque and Rococo art designs.
- Well-known composers of First Viennese School.
- Marquis de Sade and its contribution to literature.
- Significance of Denis Diderot’s criticism of French Art.
- History of the famous Eugene Delacroix’s paintings.
The work of the artists of the 19th century.
- Vincent van Gogh’s The Starry Night and its colorists.
- Why is the carving of the Veiled Virgin by Giovanni Strazza so special?
- How were the Victorian beauty standards portrayed in their art?
- Monet’s Sunrise: what is so special about the light?
- Dancing paintings by Edgar Degas.
- Changes in the methodology of Impressionism paintings.
- Artists and their depiction of Victorian beauty standards.
- The relation between Goya’s prints and French caricatures.
- The historical significance of Francisco de Goya’s paintings.
- Paul Gauguin's savage art.
- Art Deco and Art Nouveau: similarities and differences.
- Surrealism in Salvador Dali’s sculptures.
- Basic principles of futurism.
- Frida Kahlo’s paintings and the most commonly used symbol in them.
- Techniques used in Jackson Pollock’s art?
- The Kiss by Gustav Klimt: discuss its styles.
- Jasper Johns Flag: realistic and artificial motifs.
- Futurism and its basic principles.
- Unusual techniques in the art of Jackson Pollock.
- Evolution of mannerism in Pablo Picasso’s paintings.
Art Therapy Topics
Art therapy is a worthwhile resource to explore. Here is an interesting list of art therapy topic ideas that you can consider before starting your writing process.
- Art therapy as an industry.
- Art Therapy a Form of Psychotherapy.
- Art Therapy in Abused Children.
- Art for Communities and Families.
- Art therapy and the creative process.
- Benefits of art therapy.
- Art Therapy in Group Setting.
- Art Therapy in Children and its Effectiveness.
- Quantitative Research in Art Therapy.
- The Power of Art Therapy.
- Techniques Used For Art Therapy.
- Losing Yourself in Art.
- Art Therapy Resources.
- Art Therapy Activities.
- Art therapy and mental health.
Art Debate Topics
Coming up with an interesting Art debate topic can be tricky. There are a number of things that you need to consider when coming up with an interesting topic. Following are some of the unique debate topic ideas that you can consider choosing.
- Should abstract be considered a type of art?
- Should art be recognized more academically?
- Should kids draw horror art?
- The purpose of art.
- Is it possible to appreciate art without liking it?
- Should art be recognized more academically?
- Art vs. Design.
- How important is art for children's education?
- How art affects and reflects the world.
- Is Art Really Necessary Anymore?
- Was Hitler’s contribution to the arts powerful?
- Modern art and its legitimacy.
- Critiquing styles of Harold Rosenberg and Clement Greenberg.
- The uniqueness of Russian artists.
- How is primitivism real art?
Art Persuasive Speech Topics
When given to come up with a persuasive speech, it is often up to students to choose a topic.
Choosing the right topic is not an easy task. Here you can find some of the interesting art persuasive speech topic ideas to help you start the process.
- Do some pets pose a danger to the community?
- Is battery farming ethical?
- Why should art classes be enforced in all public schools?
- How can one benefit from having a pet?
- What makes a dog a perfect pet?
- How are dolphins important to the environment?
- Reasons why you should not raise wild animals as pets
- What we lose when animals go extinct.
- Reasons why students should be taught to play musical instruments in school.
- Significance of learning different languages.
- Why should graffiti be considered art?
- Why should museums be free for citizens?
- Significance of cultural art education in schools
- Effectiveness of music therapy.
- How cultural interactions can make people successful professionally?
You can also explore articles to find more persuasive speech topic ideas on 5StarEssays.com and write compelling essays.
Art Topics on Different Cultures
- How has pop art influenced American culture?
- Styles and material used in Japanese calligraphy.
- How does the henna pattern differ in the Middle East, India, and Africa?
- Asian tribes: their fashion and textile.
- Maori culture: war dance haka.
- Bollywood and the Hindi film industry.
- Why should inappropriate language in English literature be removed?
- Bollywood dance routines Vs. American.
- History and significance of pop music culture.
- Why should art therapy be covered in medical health insurance in different parts of the world?
- Pros and cons of watching Sci-Fi films.
- Comparison between the romantic comedy of Hollywood Vs. Bollywood.
- Features of Irani cinema.
- Significance of sitar in Hindu culture.
- Contemporary dance forms in different cultures.
Art Topics on Ancient Civilization
- Influence of science on Ancient Greek sculptures
- Explain the main reasons for the shift in Roman artistic style in the 4th century.
- The Great Wall of China and its construction.
- Women and Politics in Ancient Rome.
- Female representation in Ancient Art.
- Art and architecture in Ancient Times.
- The story behind the art and architecture of Ancient Rome.
- Describe Ancient Greek literature and theater.
- Contribution of Ancient Civilizations to the modern art
- Depiction of beauty in Ancient Art
Art Research Paper Topics
Despite the fact that art cannot be measured with figures as its value depends on personal impressions, it still can be a subject for research.
It is quite a challenging task to study something full of emotions. But don’t worry, as there are many credible data that you can include in your research paper only if you choose the right topic.
Following are some of the interesting topic ideas that you can choose to start with.
- Gothic and Neo-Gothic.
- Comparison of Nazi and Soviet art.
- Can abstract art be decoded?
- The art of disgusting.
- Bauhaus movement.
- Surrealist movement.
- Photography as art.
- History and origin of Abstract Expressionism.
- Similarities and differences between Claude Monnet and Edouard Manet.
- How cultural identity affects the creation of art?
- Breaking stereotypes through art and literature.
- Limitations of the performance art.
- Mysterious photography and artwork of Vivian Maier.
- Jazz music of the 19th century.
- Hidden meanings in the famous paintings.
Miscellaneous Art Essay Topics
- Contemporary artists, you like and why?
- What is your opinion on true art: what is it?
- If you are an artist, how would you explain your kind of art to others?
- Does life and nature influence art?
- What are your views on art therapy?
- Difference between a French and American artist.
- History and evaluation of animation
- Significance of censorship
- Origin of Crop art
- Urban sculptures and their significance
- What is fiber art?
- The emergence of textile arts
- History of graphic novels
- Interactive art of modern times
- Introduction and significance of tramp art?
Modern Art Topics
Modern art consists of interesting movements, styles, and forms. Choose any of the below topics to write on.
- The abstract expressionism movement.
- Pablo Picasso founder of cubism.
- Impressionism Vs. Cubism.
- Development of American pop art.
- Is contemporary art merely a way for greedy capitalists to make money?
- Political cartoons as an art form.
- Are people scared of modern art?
- History and techniques of printmaking.
- The definition of “Philosophy of Arts.”
- The artistic styles of Art Deco.
Art History Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Writing a compare and contrast essay isn’t easy, but it allows you to learn a great deal about different time periods, artists and their work and movements, etc.
- Picasso’s blue and rose periods: similarities and differences.
- Baroque and Rococo design styles: compare and analyze.
- Traditional vs. Modern Caribbean music.
- Renaissance vs. Baroque Epoch
- What are the main differences between Picasso and Leonardo Da Vinci?
- Roman Vs. Greek mythology.
- Venus de Milo Vs. The Thinker.
- Similarities and differences between the artworks of the 18th and 19th centuries.
- The artwork of India and Africa.
- Styles and techniques of painting landscapes.
We have added a variety of more compare and contrast essay topics in this blog; go check it out.
Art Argumentative Essay Topics
- The most significant piece of art of the 20th century and why?
- Graffiti art or vandalism?
- Banksy artist or vandal?
- Photography as art.
- What contributed to making Paris a center of art in the 20th century?
- Why do we need art in our lives?
- Why is TV becoming obsolete?
- Significance of print media in current times.
- Advantages of listening to classical music.
- How painting can help treat mental illnesses.
Need more argumentative essay topics? Check out our blog on argumentative essay topics.
Cause and Effect Essay Topics on Art
- Did iconoclasm affect Muslim art, and how?
- Causes of the decline of art in Medieval Europe?
- How has the cultural revolution influenced Chinese art?
- The invention of the printing press changed the status of the mass media. Examples must be provided to support your position.
- Raphael’s influence on the art of the Renaissance.
- Influence of Hitler’s work on literature.
- Influence of WWI of art.
- Influence of WWII on literature.
- How the work of William Blake paved the path for modern art?
- How did art influence the people during Hitler’s time?
You must have found a topic that fits your interest by now. If you need help writing a high-quality paper, feel free to contact 5StarEssays.com expert essay writers. Simply ask them to ‘write my essay’ and get assistance for all types of academic essays and papers.