Debate Topics (2021) - Top 100+ Compelling Topics
Choosing an interesting topic for a debate can be a little tricky. There are several factors that are to be considered before you choose a topic.
- Is the topic debatable?
- Do you have content for it?
- Is the content easily available for research?
- Are you genuinely interested in the topic?
- Is the topic good enough to impress your audience?
Get all the answers below and get some creative and great debate topics and ideas.
What is a Debate?
A debate is a process or an activity that involves presenting relevant arguments in support of a viewpoint. Normally, debates take place in academic institutes, public meetings, and legislative and lawmaking assemblies.
It is a common part of our lives, and we all have argued at some point in our lives. Through a debate, a participant tries to cancel the views and arguments of the opponent while safeguarding its own views with solid proof and arguments.
In an academic and scholarly environment, it is considered quite a fun and enlightening activity that engages the audience and adds to their knowledge.
What are the Types of Debate?
The debate is divided into four types. Each type is used for a specific type of debate, and all of them are conducted differently and could take place for different purposes. Below are the four types of debate:
- Lincoln-Douglas Debate
- Rebuttal Debate
- Oregon-Oxford Debate
- One-Rebuttal Debate
No matter what kind of debate you are planning or participating in, you will not need a unique or out-of-the-box type of topic for it. Your topic should be interesting and relatable for your audience, and this is enough to make your debate a winner.
How to Choose Good Debate Topics?
Some important factors need to be considered when it comes to choosing a good debate topic. A good debate topic will help the audience understand both sides of the issues and keep them engaged to make better and informed decisions.
Here are a few tips that will help you choose a good topic for your debate.
- Interest- It is necessary that you should be interested in your topic since you are the one who is going to write and deliver it to your audience. If you are not interested in the topic, there is no way that your debate will be convincing enough to persuade your audience.
- Research- To debate effectively, you should be aware of the pros and cons of your topic. This will help you convince the audience by opposing the opponent’s viewpoints.
- Target Audience- This is the essential factor to consider while choosing a debate topic. Your topic should be according to the intellectual level of your audience. Only this way, they will actually understand what you are trying to deliver in your debate.
- Argument Potential- Pick a topic that has a solid argument potential. If only one side is right or if there is limited information available, you will face a hard time crafting a good debate.
Best Debate Topics for Students
Below we have compiled some great topics for students to write their debates.
Debate Topics for Middle School
Following middle school debate topics are added to give you some good debate topics for middle school.
- Along with studies, there should be chores for students as well.
- Sports should be an essential part of middle school.
- School debate should be compulsory for all students.
- There should be a monarch system in the United States.
- Is the death penalty effective as a punishment?
- There should be no school uniforms or a dress code.
- Junk food should not be banned in schools.
- Energy drinks should be banned for students.
- Students should volunteer for community service.
- Students should not be allowed gadgets in school.
- Children should not be allowed to play violent video games.
- Pros and cons of using social media.
- Zoos should be banned.
- Mobile phones should not be allowed in schools.
- Why do kids need privacy?
- Students should not be allowed to use Facebook.
- Importance of saving money.
- Every student should adopt a family pet.
- Why do most kids start smoking?
- Importance of reading books.
Debate Topics for High School
High school debate topics are less profound than what you get in college and graduation. The following topics will give you an idea of how to come up with interesting debate topics for your debate.
- Is it ethical to use animals for testing?
- High school students should not be allowed cell phones in school.
- Global warming and its impacts on humanity.
- Causes of increasing racism in the United States.
- Marijuana should be legal for its use in medicines.
- Impact of social media on teenagers and high school students.
- Effects of violent cartoons on the mental development of children.
- Is it ethical to clone animals?
- Celebrities have the leverage to get away with crimes more than any non-celebrity.
- Nuclear weapons should be banned across the globe.
- Police should be allowed to use lethal force.
- Does technology intensify human communication skills?
- Religion does more harm than good.
- Why can it be done to stop wars?
- Online learning vs. traditional learning. Which is better?
- Is animal testing necessary?
- How can technology help to improve education?
- Is global warming a real issue?
- How can we engage high school students in the class?
- How is outdoor learning beneficial?
Debate Topics for College Students
- Social networking sites are used for stalking instead of communicating.
- Torture is never justified, no matter what the situation is.
- How badly can peer pressure affect an innocent soul?
- Violent games should be banned for teenagers.
- The modern college education system is better than the traditional one.
- Beauty pageants are another way to objectify women.
- Cigarettes should not be allowed in public places.
- Homework should be banned in schools.
- Models are setting the wrong standards of beauty.
- Fast-food chains are the major cause of the increase in the obesity rate.
- We are living in a dystopian society.
- Animals should have the same rights as humans.
- Is the Paris Agreement relevant anymore?
- How can homework help to abolish learning skills?
- How can a college education help you get a good job?
- Why should religion be avoided to discuss in schools?
- Is history an important subject area?
- Why is it important for the students to play sports regularly?
- Arts vs. science. Which is better?
- Boarding school is harmful to the mental health of the students.
Debate Topics on Different Subjects
Great speech and debate topics are essential for memorable debates and speeches. This is why we suggest that you do your research properly before deciding on a specific topic. To help you get some memorable topic ideas, we have gathered lists of topics that could be used in any type of debate like Lincoln-Douglas debate topics, rebuttal debates, and others.
Here is a complete list of engaging ideas for your debate. Continue reading, and you will definitely find a great topic.
Controversial Debate Topics
- Alcohol should not be sold on weekends.
- Pharmacists should not be allowed to prescribe medicines.
- Animal testing should be banned.
- Public speaking boosts the confidence of students.
- Children are not supposed to play video games.
- Beauty pageants are setting ridiculous standards in society.
- Obesity in children is increasing because of parents’ lack of control over their children.
- Children should not be allowed to use gadgets.
- There should be no advertisements on kids channels.
- People should be fined according to their income.
- Can drug addicts deal through help or punishment?
- Police should be allowed to use lethal force.
- Are men stronger than women?
- Obese people should pay more for healthcare.
- Healthcare should not be free for everyone.
- Rich people should pay more taxes.
- Women should be paid less than men,
- Wars are never justified.
- Marriage is no longer necessary.
- Celebrities should earn less.
If you want top debate topics, we have combined a list of controversial and argumentative topics for a strong debate.
Funny Debate Topics
Following fun debate topics are great if you are looking for topics that are light in mood and offer humorous matters.
- Women are much more complicated than men.
- Which one is better? Eat to live or live to eat?
- Children should not be allowed to watch cartoons as they portray violence.
- Why can men date younger women, but women can’t date younger men?
- Are there some discrete messages in nursery rhymes?
- Morals or money? Which one is necessary to survive?
- Which gender is better? Male or female?
- How does sunlight affect vampires?
- Can vampires get AIDS?
- How will life be after death?
- Barbie is a good role model for young girls.
- Do fairy tales affect children’s reality perception?
- Has the #MeToo movement gone too far?
- Which is the better pet? Dogs or cats.
- What comes first? Chicken or eggs.
- Winters are better than summer.
- Do you want to live forever?
- What is a better dessert? Cake or ice cream.
- What is the best topping of pizza?
- No one should ever tell a lie.
Political Debate Topics
- Monarchy should end worldwide.
- Everyone should be allowed to keep weapons.
- Free speech is an individual right.
- Religious schools and churches should also be charged with taxes.
- Is freedom of speech necessary for a nation to grow?
- What should be the penalty for illegal immigrants?
- There should be more members of the jury.
- Refugees should not be allowed to acquire any sort of nationality.
- Is it ethical to carry an automatic weapon?
- Is patriotism a good or a bad thing?
- Is the US Constitution a living document?
- Political campaigns must be organized on money borrowed by corporations.
- Limiting terms for US senators and representatives brings more harm than benefit.
- Why should churches pay more taxes?
- Police should use deadly force. Discuss why.
- Why must the royal family be abolished?
- People should own guns. Why?
- Why are automatic weapons legalized?
- Voting should be made mandatory for everyone.
- Importance of freedom of speech.
Public Forum Debate Topics
- Abortion is the right of every woman.
- Genetic engineering is not a natural process and should not be legalized.
- Birth control pills should be accessible to teenagers.
- There should be an equal ratio of male and female employees in the workplace.
- Barbie is not a practical example of a role model.
- Feminism is causing more harm than good.
- Gay couples should be allowed to adopt children.
- Marijuana has its advantages.
- The MeToo movement is being misused, forgetting its real purpose.
- The media should be free to express their opinions and criticism.
- Public prayer should not be allowed in schools.
- Smoking should be banned worldwide.
- The form of government should provide free birth control.
- Can we trust banks?
- Financial issues destroy a nation.
- Is taxation good or bad?
- How can humans affect animals?
- Discuss the importance of financial stability.
- We should lower the voting age for everyone.
- Mobile banking is not a safe procedure. Why?
Interesting Debate Topics
- Is sex education necessary for middle school students?
- Nuclear powers are the major cause of wars.
- Same-sex marriage should not be allowed.
- Gay relationships are against nature.
- Students are becoming way too dependent on technology.
- Money is a major source of motivation in the workplace.
- Girls should be encouraged and supported to enter the STEM research field.
- Is money a key factor in getting exoneration from crimes?
- Alternative energy resources should be explored and used to preserve natural resources.
- Censorship should be made less lenient for educational documentaries.
- Gay couples should be allowed to adopt children.
- The sale of fur must be banned.
- Reality television is harming society.
- Why is paintball a real sport?
- Sports are more important than arts.
- What are the differences between cricket and hockey?
- Why is it important to ban late-night alcohol sales?
- Unpaid internships should be made illegal.
- Beauty contests should be banned.
- Gay couples should not be allowed to adopt children.
Debate Topics for Kids
- Traditional teaching methods should be replaced with AI-powered education.
- The curriculum should be designed according to the individual needs of the children.
- Physical activities and real-life teaching skills should be mandatory in schools.
- Visits to zoological and botanical gardens are great fun and educational activities for kids.
- Sports should be encouraged at the school level.
- Children should be given the right to vote.
- School hours should be revised.
- School lunches should be properly planned by a dedicated dietician.
- Parents should give a weekly allowance to the kids.
- Parents should be held responsible for their kids' mistakes.
- Dance can be considered a sport.
- Schools should block sites like YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram on their computers.
- Why should we encourage students to read books?
- How can we replace teachers with computers?
- Why are Olympics important?
- Are zoos beneficial to animals?
- Why is it important to explore space?
- Do children really need privacy in their lives?
- Why should children save their pocket money?
- Parents should be punished if their child makes a mistake.
Debate Topics for Teens
- The minimum wage for all countries should be the same.
- Parents should not hit children in front of others.
- Censorship is necessary for the media.
- Passion or patriotism can be harmful in certain situations.
- Effects of social media on teenagers.
- Social media is a cause of increasing depression among the youth.
- The use of drugs should be considered a mental issue.
- How is peer pressure different from bullying?
- How are humans destroying the habitat of animals?
- Being too religious can be dangerous.
- Can people save nature by using technology?
- Are student loans exploitative?
- How secure is mobile banking?
- Does homework really promote learning?
- Is abortion murder?
- Should students be allowed to create their own curriculum?
- Why is college and university education necessary?
- Teachers should be allowed to carry guns on campuses.
- How should modern society respond to teenage pregnancies?
- All students must learn at least one foreign language.
Debate Topics 2020
- Education is becoming costlier with every passing day while the quality is not improving.
- Children and teens in underprivileged neighborhoods should be given free education.
- The rise of augmented reality in contemporary Hollywood and its results.
- Video games and animated movies are promoting violence and sexism.
- Google is transforming into an online patrol. Discuss.
- Orwell’s novel 1984 is becoming a quick reality. Discuss and explain with examples.
- Dating in the workplace should be discouraged.
- Parents should monitor their kid’s computer and phone usage.
- Racial profiling is a new form of discrimination.
- Reasons for substance abuse in high school and college-going children.
- Values or wealth? Which one is necessary to survive?
- There is no third gender.
- Homosexual relationships are against nature.
- Do drug addicts need help or punishment?
- Are animal supports acceptable?
- Parental support is essential for the future success of children.
- Technology makes people smarter. How?
- How can all cars become electric?
- A robot can increase people’s quality of life.
- Discuss the recent development in the technological field.
Debate Topics 2021
- The public electoral college should be tuition-free.
- All teachers should get tenure.
- All school districts should offer school vouchers.
- The sale of human organs should be legalized.
- Birth control should be for sale over the counter.
- Net neutrality should be restored.
- Alternative energy can effectively replace fossil fuels.
- Cell phone radiation is dangerous and should be limited.
- Euthanasia should be banned.
- The drinking age should be 18.
- Vaping should be banned.
- All high school athletes should be drug tested.
- Detention should be abolished.
- How can we improve the quality of healthcare services?
- How should parents handle a bad report card?
- Our privacy is more important than national security.
- Why is football so dangerous for players?
- Should schools offer educational bonuses?
- Why do kids need recess?
- Steps to stop cyberbullying.
Hopefully, you would have found interesting topics for your debate by now.
If you need more topics, you can check out our essay topic generator. You will find a list of topics you can choose from.
Yes, choosing a topic itself is a great struggle. Once you have chosen a topic, you will have to prepare a strong debate by researching every aspect of the topic. Is that too much work for you?
Don’t panic; we have a good idea. Choose a topic from the given list and hire a professional writer from an essay writing service to do the rest for you.
Wondering where you will find a professional writer?
5StarEssays.com is the place for you. All you have to do is provide your topic along with the instructions, and the expert writers will do the job for you.
For some students, composing a debate is harder than selecting a topic. We can help you with that as well. Now that you have selected a topic, you can give it to one of our essay writers by requesting ‘write my essay’ and get one written according to your requirements.
Place your order now to get a debate on the topic of your choice.