Extemporaneous Speech - How to Write One Successfully?
Looking forward to working on your extemporaneous speech? Here is a complete guide that will help you understand how to write and deliver this kind of speech.
Debating or speaking in front of a crowd is an art that could be learned with the passage of time. However, it is far from easy, provided that you need to have the right kind of confidence also. Confidence is important for giving any kind of speech.
This way, the speaker is sure about what he is talking about and he could do it without losing his confidence.
Worried about your upcoming speech? This blog is perfect for you to learn about writing and delivering your speech properly and successfully.
Read on to learn and know more.
What is an Extemporaneous Speech?
An extemporaneous speech is a form of spontaneous speaking or debating. In this kind of speech, the main argument or topic has not been prepared beforehand. And the speaker has to talk about it spontaneously.
These kinds of speeches are often presented as an impromptu speech in which the presenter has limited time to prepare for them.
The extemporaneous speech is different as the speaker does not have any time to outline or prepare for it. He is given a topic instantly and he speaks about it based on the thoughts that come to his mind.
This is what makes this speech somewhat challenging also.
It is focused on informing and persuading the audience and the speech is often a part of public speaking competitions and events.
As an extemporaneous speaker, you will need to organize your thoughts quickly and present them in a coherent and proper manner.
What are the Elements of an Extemporaneous Speech?
Here are the important elements of an extemporaneous speech;
- You Must Talk About Something Important
- Show Sincerity in Your Speech
- Adopt a Natural and Original Style
When preparing for the speech, you must make sure that you talk about something important and valuable. The aim is to provide the audience with something to ponder after you are done talking.
The first you should consider is to understand how the topic will impact both you and your audience.
Now, this is very important. When giving your speech, it is important that you make your audience believe what you are saying. Your audience is smarter than you think. They would instantly know when you are being sincere and when you are being dishonest.
Therefore, be genuine about whatever you say.
An effective speech is the product of an original and conversational style. Speaking extemporaneously simply means you are not trying to imitate anyone’s style at all. Consider and try to develop your personal presentation and debate style.
All of these elements are an important part of an extemporaneous speech.
Extemporaneous Speech Outline and Format
When formatting your speech, you can do it in two ways. Here are the detailed alphanumeric and decimal outline formats.
An alphanumeric outline is an easy way of organizing your speech. Here is how to do it.
I. The scenario: More than 80 percent of employers monitor their employees.
- To prevent any illegal and wrongdoing.
- To check the efficiency of the workers.
II. The privacy right of the employees.
- The US employees have no right to privacy under any laws.
- Managers believe that workers have no right to privacy at the office.
i. No federal or state laws.
ii. Workers can work on their own for their privacy.
i. Communication must be limited to official matters only.
ii. Offices should monitor the employees to prevent unlawful usage of office resources.
The decimal outline is different from the alphanumeric speech outline. Here is how to use this kind of format.
Thesis statement: A Brief History of Liz Claiborne
- 1.0 Introduction
- 1.1 Brief history of Liz Claiborne
- 1.2 The Business Scenario
- 2.0 Career and Work Opportunities
- 2.1 Executive Operations
- 2.1.1 Traffic
- 2.1.2 International business processes
- 2.1.3 Distribution
- 2.2 Product development
Both of these formats are great to manage your speech. And they will help you write and deliver your speech properly.
How to Get Ready for an Extemporaneous Speech?
Here are the steps involved in preparing for your extemporaneous speech;
- 1. Consider your Speech’s Topic - Before your speech begins, think about your topic carefully. Begin brainstorming as soon as you get the topic and try to come up with 3 to 4 significant ideas to talk about.
- 2. Develop your Speech’s Thesis Statement - Develop a good and functional thesis statement for your speech. List down your chosen ideas and connect them with the thesis statement.. Make the necessary changes as you go.
- 3. Practice and Rehearse - Practice is very important for great speech delivery. Begin with speaking to yourself in the mirror and try to practice as much as possible.
We know that delivering such a speech could be a real challenge. But with practice and organization, you can do it easily.
How to Write an Extemporaneous Speech?
An extemporaneous speech is unlike any other kind of speech. You will have limited time at hand and you need to prepare everything in that limited time.
Often, school and college students get this kind of speech as a part of their competition. Here are the steps involved in writing a great extemporaneous speech.
- 1. Choose the Topic Wisely - Instead of going with a topic that is entirely new for you, be wise and choose a familiar topic. Once you have chosen the topic, brainstorm about it in the given 30 minutes and make notes.
- 2. Develop an Outline - Create a good and functional outline for your speech. Write the topic at the top of the page and make a list of ideas that come into your mind.
- 3. Create the Main Section of the Speech - Create the main body section of your speech. Instead of trying to add everything, add 3 to 4 main and important ideas and details and work on them.
- 4. Discuss and Explain the Points - Explain the outlined points and details properly in your speech. This will help you stay focused on explaining everything properly.
- 5. Present a Clear and Strong Conclusion - Spend at least two to three minutes preparing the conclusion for your speech. Stick to the main and important points and avoid any irrelevant and lengthy details.
End the speech with a memorable quote for a lasting effect.
These steps will help you write and prepare your speech in time and without any delays.
Here is a sample extemporaneous speech;
Extemporaneous Speech Topics
Looking for good topic ideas for your extemporaneous speaking? Though the speaker hardly has any say in it, here are some topics that would make a good extemporaneous speech.
- What is the reason behind celebrating Thanksgiving?
- Who is the laziest person in your class and why?
- Which teacher inspired you to study harder?
- Is it important to monitor and restrict people in public?
- How did your parents motivate you to pick your majors?
- What are the advantages of diversity in educational institutions?
- What is the most important skill for better job opportunities?
- What are the problems of kids coming from broken families?
- What can we do to control global warming?
- How does automation affect the job environment?
All of these topics will make an excellent extemporaneous speech.
This blog explains everything that you need to know about this kind of speech. Still having questions? Contact 5StarEssays.com and get all the answers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the purpose of an extemporaneous speech?
The key purpose of an extemporaneous speech is to help the speakers develop spontaneous talking skills.
What is the main characteristic of an extemporaneous speech?
The main characteristic and aspect of an extemporaneous speech is that the speaker has to understand, synthesize and convey his thoughts in a proper and coherent manner.