Essay Writing Tips - 10+ Essential Tips and Techniques
Table Of Contents
- 1. Writing Tips for Essays
- 1.1 Read
- 1.2 Use Creativity
- 1.3 Grammar
- 1.4 Vocabulary
- 1.5 Correct Spellings
- 1.6 American Vs. British English
- 1.7 Avoid Using Long Sentences
- 1.8 Avoid Irrelevant Information
- 1.9 Follow the Instructions
- 1.10 Don’t Use Spinners
- 1.11 Plagiarism
- 1.12 Give a Final Review to Your Essay
- 2. Writing Tips For Different Essay Types
Writing is not for everyone!
This used to be my explanation throughout high school for getting a lower grade on my essays. I believed that people were good at writing because words came easier to them.
Later, I figured out that by following a few essay writing tips and techniques, anyone can become a good writer.
You can do it too.
Essay writing has long been an essential part of a student's high school and college life. And due to the lack of creative writing skills and ignoring minor details, students have a tough time writing essays.
An academic essay has an introductory paragraph, a thesis statement, body paragraphs and a concluding paragraph. Most of the students do not know what to add in each section, especially the body and conclusion.
Lucky for you, writing can be easily learned.
Before you start writing, give this blog a read to find out the best essaywriting tips and tricks and become a better writer.
Writing Tips for Essays
We all are aware of the fact that major portion of the final grade is made up of writing. If you are good at writing or enjoy writing essays, then you have nothing to worry about.
But if the sole thought of academic writing or writing an essay makes you frustrated, then we have a bit of a problem.
Take a look at our writing tips for essays to make essay writing easy and fun.
Reading is considered as a prerequisite for writing because to write, you must have adequate knowledge.
Different types of essays require different writing style and skills. To understand them, reading is a must and something that would help you in developing good writing skills. It exposes you to different writing styles, voices, forms and genres of writing.
Being an ardent reader, you can present your argument in a better way.
Every person thinks differently. If you choose a topic, every person will have a different perspective on that specific topic. Use your own point of view instead of following someone's perspective.
If you are following your own ideas in writing, that will help you in creating impressive and engaging content.
Probably one of the most significant writing tips is using correct grammar.
Revise the grammatical rules to improve your grammar and to avoid using the wrong tense, form of verbs, punctuation, sentence structure and other grammatical terms.
We know that MS Word is smart but still, avoid relying on the “spell and grammar check”and do your homework.
A writers vocabulary is beneficial as it helps them say what they really mean. And with the right words, you can communicate your thoughts, ideas and meaning in an effective way and according to your audience.
You must select the correct vocabulary that is as per your academic level. A high school student using unusual words and phrases may give an impression of plagiarism.
Make reading a thesaurus and dictionary a habit to increase your vocabulary.
Using correct spelling is an essential component of writing. There are lots of different words and knowing all the spellings is hard. The solution? Find new words and memorize their spellings.
An essay with a lot of spelling mistakes loses it essence. Use spell-checkers to avoid spelling mistakes but don't rely on them completely.
Be diligent and use a dictionary.
American Vs. British English
Students often get confused between the American and the British accent.
This is how some of the words differ in the UK and USA accent, respectively:
- Apologise vs. Apologize
- Accessorise vs. Accessorize
- Behaviour vs. Behavior
- Brutalise vs. Brutalize
- Colour vs. Color
- Fibre vs. Fiber
- Favourite vs. Favorite
It is important to follow the same spellings throughout your essay. Pick an accent and stick to it.
Avoid Using Long Sentences
The key to keeping your reader engaged is to use short and simple sentences. There is a higher chance of grammatical mistakes when you write longer sentences.
A good idea is to use short sentences and relevant information.
Avoid Irrelevant Information
Don't bombard the reader with excess and useless information. Keep your topic in mind and write whatever is relevant to your main topic. Start each sentence with a topic sentence and move forward. Support your thesis with solid evidence.
Remember, quality over quantity. Don't try to go off-topic and add irrelevant information to reach your word limit.
There are simple and easy ways to can use to make an essay longer without adding irrelevant details.
Follow the Instructions
Always read the question carefully. Notice the words that are used in the question. Words like identify, contrast, explain, compare will guide you in writing the answer.
If you are writing an essay, the question will tell you what type of essay you have to write. If you have to attempt a persuasive essay, then you should write your essay and answer in a way that you can convince the reader.
The same technique applies to all the other types of essays, descriptive, cause and effect, compare and contrast essay and narrative essay, also. Know their specific structure and stick to it.
If you find it difficult to write an effective essay, then you can also use the help of professional essay writers for hire. You can ask them to “write my essay,” and they will deliver high quality papers for you.
Don't Use Spinners
Some students use websites to change the words of an existing paragraph. This practice, however, help you reach the word count but is considered illegal in the writing world.
Don't think that you can deceive your teachers using spinners and changing the words of different paragraphs.
Plagiarism means to use someone else's work and passing it off as your own. And for a student, plagiarising an essay means getting an 'F' grade, and a possible warning.
There are several different tools and websites that allow students and professionals to do a free plagiarism check. Essays include a lot of information. To be sure that nothing is plagiarized, check it before submitting.
The trick to avoid plagiarism is to read a text and change it by writing it in your own words.
Give a Final Review to Your Essay
Do not forget to proofread your content. Make sure you have followed all the instructions given by your instructor in the question. We make several mistakes and proofreading gives us a chance to get rid of all the errors.
Check the plagiarism in the content. Remember, a good writer never copies content from anyone. Write your own content that describes your perspective on that specific topic. Follow the basic structure of the essay and add relevant data.
Writing Tips For Different Essay Types
Tips For Writing a College Essay
- Get started by Brainstorming: starting the essay can be the hardest part. Defining your strengths and brainstorming your traits is a good thing to start with.
- After gathering all the data, create an outline to organize your essay and decide where you want an example to appear.
- Develop three essay parts: Introduction, the main body and conclusion.
- Be specific and don't focus on the past exclusively.
- Your essay context should make sense.
Tips For Writing an Argumentative Essay
- Find a good argument to use as your base.
- Spend time to craft a good thesis statement.
- Do the research and find as much information as you can on your topic.
- Structure the essay.
- Avoid using emotional language as it sounds irrational.
Tips For Writing a Persuasive Essay
- Clearly state your viewpoint.
- Get to know your audience.
- Do quality research early.
- Pull off the research and add the information that can be proved easily.
- Support your argument in the first place. Don't just state a point and expect to win your audience.
- End with a strong conclusion.
Tips For Writing a Personal Essay
- Understand what a personal essay is all about
- Find an interesting topic that should be relatable and unique to the author’s experience
- Start with a hook to get the reader’s attention from the start
- Create an outline to map out the sequence and the main points of the essay
- Keep in mind that this essay is not about general topic, you have to illustrate something that is deeply personal to you.
- End with a thought provoking conclusion.
Tips For Writing a Narrative Essay
- Avoid using complex ideas and syntax. Ideas in the essay should be clearly distributed between the paragraphs.
- Avoid the second person narrative, this essay is all about the fact that the writer experienced the events mentioned in the essay.
- Use the same slang, idioms and turns of phrase throughout your essay.
Tips For Writing Common App Essay
- Choose a topic that can highlight you.
- For a most compelling and engaging essay, there should be a clear focus.
- No need to cover each and everything. Keep your focus personal and narrow.
- Use your own voice. Don't rely on phrases or ideas that people have used many time before.
Hiring a Professional Writer
5StarEssays is a professional essay writing service available online, where you can hire professional essay writers for help.
Just fill out the order form and enjoy high quality academic papers.