Obesity Essay: A Complete Guide and Topics
Are you assigned to write an essay about obesity? The first step is to define obesity.
The obesity epidemic is a major issue facing our country right now. It's complicated- it could be genetic or due to your environment, but either way, there are ways that you can fix it!
Learn all about what causes weight gain and get tips on how you can get healthy again.
What is Obesity
What is obesity? Obesity and BMI (body mass index) are both tools of measurement that are used by doctors to assess body fat according to the height, age, and gender of a person. If the BMI is between 25 to 29.9, that means the person has excess weight and body fat.
If the BMI exceeds 30, that means the person is obese. Obesity is a condition that increases the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, and other medical conditions like metabolic syndrome, arthritis, and even some types of cancer.
Obesity is defined by the World Health Organization as an accumulation of abnormal and excess body fat that comes with several risk factors. It is measured by the body mass index BMI, body weight (in kilograms) divided by the square of a person’s height (in meters).
Obesity in America
Obesity is on the verge of becoming an epidemic as 1 in every 3 Americans can be categorized as overweight and obese. Currently, America is an obese country, and it continues to get worse.
Causes of obesity
Do you see any obese or overweight people around you?
You likely do.
This is because fast-food chains are becoming more and more common, people are less active, and fruits and vegetables are more expensive than processed foods, thus making them less available to the majority of society. These are the primary causes of obesity.
Obesity is a disease that affects all age groups, including children and elderly people.
Now that you are familiar with the topic of obesity, writing an essay won’t be that difficult for you.
How to Write an Obesity Essay
The format of an obesity essay is similar to writing any other essay. If you need help regarding how to write an obesity essay, it is the same as writing any other essay.
Obesity Essay Introduction
The trick is to start your essay with an interesting and catchy sentence. This will help attract the reader's attention and motivate them to read further. You don’t want to lose the reader’s interest in the beginning and leave a bad impression, especially if the reader is your teacher.
A hook sentence is usually used to open the introductory paragraph of an essay in order to make it interesting. When writing an essay on obesity, the hook sentence can be in the form of an interesting fact or statistic.
Head on to this detailed article on hook examples to get a better idea.
Once you have hooked the reader, the next step is to provide them with relevant background information about the topic. Don’t give away too much at this stage or bombard them with excess information that the reader ends up getting bored with. Only share information that is necessary for the reader to understand your topic.
Next, write a strong thesis statement at the end of your essay, be sure that your thesis identifies the purpose of your essay in a clear and concise manner. Also, keep in mind that the thesis statement should be easy to justify as the body of your essay will revolve around it.
The details related to your topic are to be included in the body paragraphs of your essay. You can use statistics, facts, and figures related to obesity to reinforce your thesis throughout your essay.
If you are writing a cause-and-effect obesity essay, you can mention different causes of obesity and how it can affect a person’s overall health. The number of body paragraphs can increase depending on the parameters of the assignment as set forth by your instructor.
Start each body paragraph with a topic sentence that is the crux of its content. It is necessary to write an engaging topic sentence as it helps grab the reader’s interest. Check out this detailed blog on writing a topic sentence to further understand it.
End your essay with a conclusion by restating your research and tying it to your thesis statement. You can also propose possible solutions to control obesity in your conclusion. Make sure that your conclusion is short yet powerful.
Obesity Essay Examples
Below are a few obesity essay samples to help you compose your essay:
Essay about Obesity (PDF)
Childhood Obesity Essay (PDF)
Obesity in America Essay (PDF)
Essay about Obesity Cause and Effects (PDF)
Satire Essay on Obesity (PDF)
Obesity Argumentative Essay (PDF)
Obesity Essay Topics
Choosing a topic might seem an overwhelming task as you may have many ideas for your assignment. Brainstorm different ideas and narrow them down to one, quality topic.
If you need some examples to help you with your essay topic related to obesity, dive into this article and choose from the list of obesity essay topics.
As mentioned earlier, obesity can affect any age group, including children. Obesity can cause several future health problems as children age.
Here are a few topics you can choose from and discuss for your childhood obesity essay:
- What are the causes of increasing obesity in children?
- Obese parents may be at risk for having children with obesity.
- What is the ratio of obesity between adults and children?
- What are the possible treatments for obese children?
- Are there any social programs that can help children with combating obesity?
- Has technology boosted the rate of obesity in children?
- Are children spending more time on gadgets instead of playing outside?
- Schools should encourage regular exercises and sports for children.
- How can sports and other physical activities protect children from becoming obese?
- Can childhood abuse be a cause of obesity among children?
- What is the relationship between neglect in childhood and obesity in adulthood?
- Does obesity have any effect on the psychological condition and well-being of a child?
- Are electronic medical records effective in diagnosing obesity among children?
- Obesity can affect the academic performance of your child.
- Do you believe that children who are raised by a single parent can be vulnerable to obesity?
- You can promote interesting exercises to encourage children.
- What is the main cause of obesity, and why is it increasing with every passing day?
- Schools and colleges should work harder to develop methodologies to decrease childhood obesity.
- The government should not allow schools and colleges to include sweet or fatty snacks as a part of their lunch.
- If a mother is obese, can it affect the health of the child?
- Children who gain weight frequently can develop chronic diseases.
Obesity Argumentative Essay Topics
Do you want to write an argumentative essay on the topic of obesity?
The following list can help you with that!
Here are some examples you can choose from for your argumentative essay about obesity:
- Can vegetables and fruits decrease the chances of obesity?
- Should you go for surgery to overcome obesity? Are there any harmful side effects?
- Can obesity be related to the mental condition of an individual?
- Are parents responsible for controlling obesity in childhood?
- What are the most effective measures to prevent the increase in the obesity rate?
- Why is the obesity rate increasing in the United States?
- Can the lifestyle of a person be a cause of obesity?
- Does the economic situation of a country affect the obesity rate?
- How is obesity considered an international health issue?
- Can technology and gadgets affect obesity rates?
- What can be the possible reasons for obesity in a school?
- How can we address the issue of obesity?
- Is obesity a chronic disease?
- Is obesity a major cause of heart attacks?
- Are the junk food chains causing an increase in obesity?
- Do nutritional programs help in reducing the obesity rate?
- How can the right type of diet help with obesity?
- Why should we encourage sports activities in schools and colleges?
- Can obesity affect a person’s behavior?
Health Related Topics for Research Paper
If you are writing a research paper, you can explain the cause and effect of obesity.
Here are a few topics that link to the cause and effects of obesity.Review the literature of previous articles related to obesity. Describe the ideas presented in the previous papers.
- Can family history cause obesity in future generations?
- Can we predict obesity through genetic testing?
- What is the cause of the increasing obesity rate?
- Do you think the increase in fast-food restaurants is a cause of the rising obesity rate?
- Is the ratio of obese women greater than obese men?
- Why are women more prone to be obese as compared to men?
- Stress can be a cause of obesity. Mention the reasons how mental health can be related to physical health.
- Is urban life a cause of the increasing obesity rate?
- People from cities are prone to be obese as compared to people from the countryside.
- How obesity affects the life expectancy of people? What are possible solutions to decrease the obesity rate?
- Do family eating habits affect or trigger obesity?
- How do eating habits affect the health of an individual?
- How can obesity affect the future of a child?
- Obese children are more prone to get bullied in high school and college.
- Why should schools encourage more sports and exercise for children?
Topics for Essay on Obesity as a Problem
Do you think a rise in obesity rate can affect the economy of a country?
Here are some topics for your assistance regarding your economics related obesity essay.
- Does socioeconomic status affect the possibility of obesity in an individual?
- Analyze the film and write a review on “Fed Up” – an obesity epidemic.
- Share your reviews on the movie “The Weight of The Nation.”
- Should we increase the prices of fast food and decrease the prices of fruits and vegetables to decrease obesity?
- Do you think healthy food prices can be a cause of obesity?
- Describe what measures other countries have taken in order to control obesity?
- The government should play an important role in controlling obesity. What precautions should they take?
- Do you think obesity can be one of the reasons children get bullied?
- Do obese people experience any sort of discrimination or inappropriate behavior due to their weight?
- Are there any legal protections for people who suffer from discrimination due to their weight?
- Which communities have a higher percentage of obesity in the United States?
- Discuss the side effects of the fast-food industry and their advertisements on children.
- Describe how the increasing obesity rate has affected the economic condition of the United States.
- What is the current percentage of obesity all over the world? Is the obesity rate increasing with every passing day?
- Why is the obesity rate higher in the United States as compared to other countries?
- Do Asians have a greater percentage of obese people as compared to Europe?
- Does the cultural difference affect the eating habits of an individual?
- Obesity and body shaming.
- Why is a skinny body considered to be ideal? Is it an effective way to reduce the obesity rate?
Obesity Solution Essay Topics
With all the developments in medicine and technology, we still don’t have exact measures to treat obesity.
Here are some insights you can discuss in your essay:
- How do obese people suffer from metabolic complications?
- Describe the fat distribution in obese people.
- Is type 2 diabetes related to obesity?
- Are obese people more prone to suffer from diabetes in the future?
- How are cardiac diseases related to obesity?
- Can obesity affect a woman’s childbearing time phase?
- Describe the digestive diseases related to obesity.
- Obesity may be genetic.
- Obesity can cause a higher risk of suffering a heart attack.
- What are the causes of obesity? What health problems can be caused if an individual suffers from obesity?
- What are the side effects of surgery to overcome obesity?
- Which drugs are effective when it comes to the treatment of obesity?
- Is there a difference between being obese and overweight?
- Can obesity affect the sociological perspective of an individual?
- Explain how an obesity treatment works.
- How can the government help people to lose weight and improve public health?
Writing an essay is a challenging yet rewarding task. All you need is to be organized and clear when it comes to academic writing.
- Choose a topic you would like to write on.
- Organize your thoughts.
- Pen down your ideas.
- Compose a perfect essay that will help you ace your subject.
- Proofread and revise your paper.
Were the topics useful for you? We hope so!
However, if you are still struggling to write your paper, you can pick any of the topics from this list, and our essay writer will help you craft a perfect essay.
Are you struggling to write an effective essay?
If writing an essay is the actual problem and not just the topic, you can always hire an essay writing service for your help. Essay experts at 5StarEssays can help compose an impressive essay within your deadline.
All you have to do is contact us. We will get started on your paper while you can sit back and relax.
Place your order now to get an A-worthy essay.