How to Create a Strong Argumentative Essay Outline?
How to Create an Argumentative Essay Outline?
The standard argumentative essay outline includes the following elements.
Argumentative Essay Introduction
The introduction of your essay is the first thing your reader will see. This is where you provide the reader with the proper background information, educating them about your topic. The reader will decide from the very first sentence if he wants to continue reading your essay further or not.
The opening line of an essay is a hook that sticks the reader to the essay. If the introduction is not interesting, the reader might not continue with the essay.
Here are the key points you should keep in mind while writing the introduction of your argumentative essay.
Start With a Hook
Start your introduction with an interesting hook that engages your readers and wants them to stick to your essay. It is not necessary that you have to write an entire paragraph as the hook of your essay.
A single interesting sentence also counts as a hook. You can start your essay with an interesting fact, anecdote, funny story, statistics, or a controversial statement.
The hook you choose depends on the nature of the paper that you’re writing and your audience. Whatever you choose to write, make sure it is catchy to grab the attention of readers.
Check out this article to learn some interesting hook examples and their different types.
Explain Your Point of View
Now you have to develop your thoughts related to the topic and explain the significance of the topic to the readers. Explain this part of your essay according to your personal knowledge in a couple of lines in the introductory paragraph.
You can also present the background information on your topic. Making sure that the reader knows what will be discussed throughout the paper. Be careful when sharing information at this stage, as you don’t want to bombard the reader with too much data.
Write Down Your Thesis Statement
A thesis statement is the crux of your entire essay written at the end of the introductory paragraph. Write down a strong and clear thesis statement that can be backed by a supportive argument and evidence.
The thesis statement of your essay should explain the main point and purpose of writing your essay.
Your entire essay revolves around the thesis; the body paragraphs present information and evidence to defend your thesis.
Follow the tips mentioned above to write an interesting introduction for your argumentative essay.
It is no surprise that the introduction of any essay holds the most importance. If you start on the wrong foot, the entire essay, along with your hard work, goes in vain.
Argumentative Essay Introduction Examples
To know more about writing a catchy introduction, review the following argumentative essay introduction examples.
- After the terrorist attack on World Trade Towers on September 11, 2001, racial profiling was increased. According to the authorities, profiling is the only way to identify terrorists. Some airports started targeting people from a Middle-Eastern background, creating concern about the violation of civil rights. This tactic of screening didn’t seem to work, which made the authorities recommend the use of the National ID card. If every citizen carries his ID card along, it will make the screening process easier. And it will not target individuals based on their looks.
- Nowadays, students wake up, check their phones, get ready and leave instantly for school or college without any breakfast. Some might believe that having breakfast is not essential to start their day with a healthy meal. Studies have shown that breakfast is the essential meal of your day, especially for students.
- Most of the public workers around the globe are not given the right to freedom of expression. Not even when they are made to work day and night, violating their working rights. Lack of freedom of expression decreases their morale to perform well at work. Enforcing their right to strike and to speak against such violations will encourage them. Countries all over the world should encourage their workers to go on strike and speak for.
Argumentative Essay Body Paragraphs
The body paragraphs of an argumentative essay hold the following significant components.
Each body paragraph should contain a topic sentence that should then be explained in the paragraph with supporting details.
To present a strong argument, you can separate paragraphs to support or negate the thesis statement.
Present your arguments with supporting evidence to support your claim in one paragraph. Remember that you can’t just state your opinions about a particular issue or subject. To make a strong argument and change people's points of view, you must convince them using strong, authentic facts.
Present the opposing argument in the other paragraph by researching both points of view. Presenting both stances will strengthen the argument created in the essay. Refuting the counterargument will make yours seem more valid.
Another approach can be that first, you can use all the evidence to support your argument. After presenting your side of the argument, you can write a paragraph to refute the opposing side.
There is not a rule that should be applied when it comes to presenting an argument. The choice is yours. Make a decision and go for the method that would be easier for you while presenting your case to the readers.
Just be mindful when collecting the evidence. Only look for credible sources. Let’s look at this example of a claim and its supporting evidence.
Claim: Closing down fast-food chains can control the number of obese kids in the United States.
Evidence: “According to the analysis of several studies in 2017, it is shown that the percentage of obese kids has increased 11 times from the year 1975.”
Argumentative Essay Conclusion
The last component of a simple argumentative essay outline in the concluding paragraph. Your conclusion needs to be strong to provide closure to the entire argument presented in your essay.
The goal of a conclusion is to make the readers realize why you picked this topic and how significant it is. Restate your thesis statement and your stance on the topic in conclusion.
A strong conclusion leaves a strong impact on readers. This is the part that your reader will remember once he finishes reading the essay. End your essay with an impactful conclusion so that the audience understands and agrees with your point of view.
Argumentative Essay Conclusion Examples
Here are some argumentative essay conclusion examples to further clarify how to write the conclusion.
- Physical punishment might be an effective way to discipline kids. However, parents should avoid using this method to a maximum extent. We live in a world where there is already enough violence around us. We don’t need any more of it, and that should start from home. Teach your children to be responsible without using violence.
- Hence, we cannot say that adults are better learners than children. This quality may vary depending on the enthusiasm and motivational level. The learning capability of an individual cannot be generalized according to their age.
- Sports play an important role in maintaining health. We will have a healthier society if people involve themselves in sports. However, we need to make sure that the sports we are playing are not threatening our lives. They should be challenging yet exciting.
Now you know everything there is about an argumentative essay outline. To make it easier for you, we have an argumentative essay outline sample to guide you through your essay.
Argumentative Essay Outline Examples
Here, you can find a sample argumentative essay outline pdf that you can follow to craft a perfect argumentative essay. You can also find numerous argumentative essay examples online for help.
To make writing an outline of an argumentative essay easier, we have also attached a worksheet below. Complete it carefully, and you will master the art of argumentative writing.
If you follow this guideline and the argumentative essay outline sample provided above, the writing process will become simpler. You can easily find some interesting and attention-grabbing argumentative essay topics online for a great start. Regardless of the essay topic, you will end up with a high-quality essay if you follow a proper guide.
While following an outline is important for writing argumentative essays, other essential steps must also be followed.
If you still need help, you can always contact a professional essay writer who will help you write a great essay.
At 5StarEssays.com, we can provide you with the best and on-time ‘write my essay’ help. Reach out to us and get the best essay writing help from experts.