Common Personal Statement Prompts for Students
When it comes to applying for college, students often need to submit an admission application. Writing a personal statement is the most crucial task of the whole admission application process. The first thing that you need to start a personal statement is the essay prompt.
Choosing a unique and original personal statement prompt plays a vital role in making an impact on a reader’s mind. The admission committee does not look only at your life story but also assesses your choice of topic. So make sure you choose a topic that impresses your reader.
For your help, we have compiled a list of creative personal statement prompts for the year 2021. Check out the list given below and choose the one that interests you the most.
- Personal Statement Writing Prompts
- Common App Personal Statement Prompts
- Personal Statement Prompts Graduate School
- Personal Statement Prompts for College
- Personal Statement Prompts Law School
- Personal Statement Prompts Medical School
- College Board Personal Statement Prompts
- Stanford Personal Statement Prompts
- UC Personal Statement Prompts
Personal Statement Writing Prompts
A personal statement is an important part of the college application when applying for a college or university. Every year hundreds of students apply for college admission. Many colleges require students to submit an application that consists of several parts. One of which is the personal statement.
The main aim of such a statement is to present you as a perfect candidate to get admission to your desired institution. Sometimes the college provides you with essay prompts to write on.
To help you get started with your personal statement, we have also provided some common essay prompts. These prompts will help you discuss your accomplishments, events, or realization that impacted your life.
Common App Personal Statement Prompts
The Common App team has been monitoring the devastating pandemic’s ongoing effects that have impacted everyone worldwide. They want to support teachers, counselors, and students affected by the current epidemic situation. Therefore, they have compiled a list of personal statement prompts for the year 2021. Below is the list of personal statement prompts given by Common App:
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, realization, or talent that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
Personal Statement Prompts Graduate School
Applying for admission to a graduate school?
Need to write a personal statement but have not decided on a topic yet?
Check out the list given below and choose the topic that you like the most.
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you've already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
- Are you a sports person? Or do you have any other hobbies? What is an extracurricular activity that is meaningful to you?
- Reflect on a time when you were unsuccessful in achieving your goal? How did that failure affect you? What have you learned from that experience?
- Reflect on a time when you faced a ‘do or die” situation. How did you face it, and how did you manage to come out of that situation?
Personal Statement Prompts for College
Done with high school, now it’s time to apply for college admission?
The thought of writing a personal statement haunts you?
Well, stop fretting and choose one of the topics from the list given below. These topics will help you write an amazing personal statement for college admission.
- Recount a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself and others.
- Why should we choose you and not other candidates? What makes you stand out or unique among other candidates? How are you going to benefit your selected college?
- What is the book, movie, novel, musical composition, or poem you love? What is a special thing about it that you love?
- What makes you a perfect candidate for this college? What positive change do you want to bring to this college?
- Why do you want to attend this college?
Personal Statement Prompts Law School
Applying to a law school can be a significant step towards reaching your academic goal. Along with demonstrating your convincing skills, you need to demonstrate your academic accomplishments.
Here are some creative law school personal statement prompts for your help.
- Why do you want to attend law school but not any other school? Why is it so important to join the law school?
- Introduce yourself. What makes you a good lawyer? Defend your case; why should we choose you and allow you to attend law school?
- Pretend like you are a lawyer, and you have to convince the admission committee that you are the most deserving candidate.
- Share your personal podcast achievements that you may not be able to share in any part of your application.
- What do you believe about leadership? Do you have any leadership qualities? If yes, then what are those?
Personal Statement Prompts Medical School
The following topics are specifically designed for medical school admission essays. You can decide on one of these topics and start writing your personal statement for medical school.
- Why do you want to be a doctor specifically? What motivates you to be a doctor or a physician? What makes your desire to become a doctor unique?
- What unique or meaningful contribution will you make to the class?
- Why have you selected the field of medicine? What motivates you to learn and study more about medicine?
- Discuss your life experiences, educational achievements, medical interests, and more. How does everything fit together?
- Tell an intricate story about you, something a reader can get excited about and can relate to.
College Board Personal Statement Prompts
Finally, it is that time of the year when all colleges are seeking admissions applications. Feel free to discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that reshaped your life. Or choose the topic from the list given below.
- What captivates you? Success, money, fame, or anything else that fascinates you. What is it, and why does it interest you the most?
- What have you planned to do once you graduate from college?
- Describe a moment or experience, or tragedy that changed your outlook on life.
- Reflect on something that has influenced you and your life. Why did it influence you? How did it change your views about the world?
- Go back in time when you have to decide between playing it safe or taking a risk. What was your choice? What was the outcome of your choice?
Stanford Personal Statement Prompts
Does your story sound like you have learned from the experience of a failure, challenge, or something else?
Do you think it should be shared with the world or at least with the college admission committee?
If yes, then choose the topic given below and start writing your personal statement.
- What is the most significant or biggest challenge the world is facing today?
- Tell us about something meaningful to you and why?
- The Stanford community is deeply curious and driven to learn in and out of the classroom. Reflect on an idea or experience that makes you genuinely excited about learning.
- Stanford’s community is an essential part of the undergraduate experience. We come from all walks of life, share our own traditions, take care of one another, and think of ourselves as family. How do you define family, and what contributions have you made to yours?
- Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate—and us—get to know you better.
UC Personal Statement Prompts
Tired of getting boring topics again and again for writing a personal statement?
Check out the topics given below and choose the one that interests you the most. These topics are fresh, unique, and engaging. You would enjoy writing a personal statement on any of these topics.
- Every person has a creative side, and it can be expressed in many ways: problem-solving, original and innovative thinking, and artistic, to name a few. Describe how you express your creative side.
- Describe an example of your leadership experience in which you have positively influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.
- What would you say is your greatest talent or skill? How have you developed and demonstrated that talent over time?
- Describe the world you come from — for example, your family, community, or school — and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.
- Briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities, a job you hold, or responsibilities you have for your family.
Hopefully, you will find an interesting topic from the above list for writing your personal statement. These topics are very common for personal statements, that you will get hundreds of examples over the internet. Students find those examples and get inspiration for writing their admission essays. They write the same stories with the same cliches that many other students have already written.
The biggest mistake that students make is to copy others' stories and submit it as it is. The admission committee receives millions of admission essays every year, and each of them has the same story. They do not even bother to read the complete essay and reject the application.
If you do not want to face such a situation and want to impress the reader with your unique and interesting story, get help from us. 5StarEssays.com is a professional ‘write my essay” service that provides original, authentic, and unique personal statements at affordable prices.
Our writers collaborate with you and try to understand your life experience and then craft a unique story accordingly. So, if you are unable to write a good personal statement, do not waste your time and energy. Just place your order at 5StarEssays.com and blow off all your worries.