How to Write a Good Thesis Introduction - A Complete Guide
After hours of struggle and hard work, have you reached the important stage of your academic life where you need to write a thesis? Yes?
You are well aware of the fact that if you want to make a lasting impression of your work, you will have to start with a strong introduction chapter!
Here is a complete guide for you to learn how to write an outstanding thesis introduction that will impress everyone.
- 1. How to Write a Good Thesis Introduction?
- 1.1 Things to Remember Before Writing a Thesis Introduction
- 1.2 Steps in Writing the Introduction of a Thesis
- 1.3 Make the Introduction Crisp and Interesting
- 1.4 Don’t Reveal All the Information in the Introduction
- 1.5 Finalizing the Thesis Introduction
- 2. How to Write MS and PHD Thesis Introduction?
- 3. Thesis Introduction Outline
- 4. Thesis Introduction - Common Problems to Avoid
- 5. Conclusion
1. How to Write a Good Thesis Introduction
For many people, thesis introduction is the most frightening part to start with. It is true that writing introduction can be a challenging task.
Before going any further, you need to acknowledge that the most important part of the thesis is its introduction. It decides the fate of your thesis and whether it will be a success or not.
A good introduction will draw the reader’s attention to the entire paper.
Make sure that you make it captivating and compelling enough to impress your professor or readers.
If you want to learn how to write a good thesis introduction, you cannot blindly start writing your thesis and get done with it. It requires a strategic plan, so before the part where you actually start writing, you need to remember a few things that are mentioned below.
1.1 Things to Remember Before Writing a Thesis Introduction
Get the perfect introduction and the rest of your paper will follow. Mess it up and you will struggle to catch up.
The introduction is the first paragraph that will recount what you are going to discuss in your paper.
Here are some of the important points that you need to take into account before starting writing a thesis introduction.
- Brainstorm different ideas in your mind.
- Choose the type of paper you are comfortable with incorporating in the writing process.
- Pen down a rough draft of ideas you have in your mind.
- Organize your thoughts on choosing the topic.
- Even if you are going to use "write my paper" essay writing service, it is better to provide a topic for your research paper.
- Choose your topic according to the interest and aptitude of your target audience.
- Research the content of your topic.
- Go through a previous research regarding your topic and subject for maximum grip on the thesis.
- Don't forget to mention the terms and scope.
- Do not use common phrases when you are writing the introduction of your thesis.
- A good introduction should include strong and striking words that describe the research aims.
1.2 Steps in Writing the Introduction of a Thesis
Writing an introduction for your thesis is not similar to writing the introduction of an essay. When you write the introduction of your essay, it gives a general idea of what you are going to write in the body paragraphs.
Introduction of your thesis is different from that. The introduction tells the reader about the purpose of your thesis.
Why are you conducting this research? Why is it important to conduct research on that specific topic? Do not write your introduction in one go.
Keep the introduction separate from the purpose of your research. Highlight your research question in the introduction. It should provide a comprehensive outlook of your research paper.
1.3 Make the Introduction Crisp and Interesting
Your introduction is going to set the stage for your research paper. Make sure your introduction is interesting enough to grab the audience. The introduction should be written in such a tone that it sounds interesting to your readers and offers value for their time that they will invest in reading your paper.
The introduction might change a few times depending on the content mentioned in the research paper and when you start revising and proofreading it. Writing an introduction for your essay is easier. Just explain the background information of your topic in the introduction.
1.4 Don't Reveal All the Information in the Introduction
Every person has a different taste when it comes to writing. Start your introduction with a striking sentence. It is better not to reveal all the information in the introduction. This will maintain the interest of the reader.
Sometimes, the students try to summarize everything in the introduction. If you reveal all the information in the introductory paragraph, the reader will end up reading only the introduction.
1.5 Finalizing the Thesis Introduction
Once you have finished writing your thesis introduction, following are some questions that you need to ask yourself.
- Does the first line of your introduction discusses the problem that you are going to discuss in your thesis paper?
- Does the introduction provides a case for the research?
- Does the introduction provides a thesis overview?
2. How to Write MS and PhD Thesis Introduction?
There are a few things which are necessary for writing an introduction of MS and PHD thesis.
- Mention your topic and give background.
- Describe scope and term of the topic and don't forget to define the terms thoroughly.
- Make sure the topic is strong, a good idea helps build the perfect foundation of an introduction.
- Deliver the literature review associated with the topic.
- Sketch the present situation.
- Evaluate the present situation, advantages/ disadvantages.
- Identify the gap.
- Recognize the significance of the proposed research.
- Mention the research questions/problems.
- Mention the research objectives and aims.
- Mention the hypothesis.
- Sketch the order of information in the thesis.
- Sketch the methodology
2.1 Difference Between MS and PhD Thesis Introduction?
The major difference is that a PhD thesis introduction involves the broader scope of the particular topic and includes broader details of research methodology.
3. Thesis Introduction Outline
When you get to the thesis introduction outline, make sure that you start it with a hook. The term hook means that you want to start the thesis introduction with an attention grabbing sentence.
There are three things to keep in mind:
- Introduce the reader to the topic via a "General Statement."
- Then state the specific topic via a "Thesis Statement."
- Lastly, "Conclude" everything nicely to tie things together.
These steps will help shape the perfect thesis introduction that will surely impress the reader. Make sure to be as interesting as possible as this will be the deciding point that will the reader read the rest of the thesis or not.
4. Thesis Introduction - Common Problems to Avoid
There are some common problems that you need to avoid while writing an introduction for your thesis paper.
- No need to provide too much detail. Provide enough detail necessary to support your argument.
- Do not rush into lots of details. Make sure your introduction is clearly explaining the aim, its questions and contributions in the opening lines.
- Follow a coherent structure. Not following a structure will leave the reader confused. The same goes for your thesis questions. Do not discuss the methods before listing down your questions.
- Do not use too much technical language. It is important to provide clear and concise information.
A thesis represents all the hard work and struggle you did in your previous years of education and it decides the fate of your future and career as well. If you end up doing bad in it, all your efforts and struggles may go in vain.
Simply follow the above guide or revisit our blog next time you are up to write a thesis. It'll provide you great assistance and you will wholly learn how to write a good thesis introduction for sure.
Get Professional Help!
Writing a thesis is not an easy task. It requires a massive amount of research and study. The entire result of your efforts in college or university depends on your thesis.
If you fail at writing a good thesis, your struggle through your entire college life goes down the drain. So, it is better to take assistance.
If you are still not confident & could come up with an A+ thesis, hire a professional essay writing service to write it for you. 5StarEssays have a wide range of professional essay writers.
These professional writers can write essay online according to your requirements. They can also help you with case studies, book reviews, academic writing and research paper online and provide 24/7 support.
For ordering thesis, essays or research paper, you can contact their support team. You can also track your thesis by communicating with the support team. After they are done with the essay or research paper, you can also ask them for free revision.
Place your order now to get your paper.